It is thought that we all have pre-cancerous cells in our body. So what makes the difference between someone afflicted with cancer and someone who is never affected by those cells? Our immune system? Our emotions and stress levels? Environmental toxins? Diet? I believe all of these may contribute. Since Chinese medicine is so effective in regulating the immune system, stress, and emotions as well as enhancing the body’s natural ability to eliminate toxins, there are many positives when it comes to using acupuncture to defend the body against cancer, prevent recurrence, or manage an active diagnosis.
If you have been diagnosed with cancer, acupuncture and Chinese medicine can be an incredible part of your healing plan. I always recommend consulting with an MD or Oncologist you trust, or perhaps several to make an informed decision. Whether you and your provider choose chemotherapy, radiation, surgery or some combination of these, unfortunately the impact of these therapies don’t limit themselves to cancerous cells. You need something more to support the strength of your body, benefit your immune system, and maintain your health to a degree that cancer treatment can be administered on schedule.
Acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine may be beneficial in:
- Boosting red and white blood cell counts to maintain chemotherapy schedule without blood transfusions;
- Reducing pain and often the need for pain medications;
- Relieving joint pain in women taking aromatase inhibitors (breast cancer treatment);
- Reducing nausea and vomiting;
- Reducing cancer growth;
- Enhancing appetite, digestive function and energy levels;
- Reducing hot flashes and night sweats from cancer treatments;
- Addressing side effects including: weight loss, cough, coughing up blood, anxiety, depression, dry mouth, proctitis, speech problems, blocked esophagus, hiccups, and fluid in the arms or legs;
- Treating lymph edema.
Of course, some patients decide that traditional cancer treatments are not for them, and choose nutritional and alternative therapies instead. Acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine have been effectively used in China for thousands of years to treat cancer patients. While I don’t claim to treat cancer, I am happy to treat you in support of whatever decision you and your medical doctor have made.
Further Reading: Acupuncture Today